The Community of St. Mary, an Episcopal convent, is a five-minute walk from our campus. St. Mary’s offers a variety of services on each day, except Mondays. For the most current schedule, check the St. Mary’s Sewanee front desk or visit the Community of St. Mary’s website here.
The Episcopal Parish of St. Mark and St. Paul on the Mountain, formerly known as Otey Memorial Parish, is located at 216 University Avenue (across from the Sewanee Elementary School). This parish was founded as St. Paul’s-on-the-Mountain in 1870, and the name was changed to the Otey Memorial in 1891. African Americans worshipped at separate times and in separate buildings from Caucasians, in a congregation known primarily as St. Mark’s. In 1962, Otey Parish integrated and many St. Mark’s members joined; a formal merger took place in 1968 when St. Mark’s closed. During the year of our 150th anniversary, and after study, conversation and prayer, we have changed the parish name to St. Mark & St. Paul. Bishop Otey continues to be remembered prominently, and our gathering hall has been renamed in memory of Black educators Gertrude & John Kennerly. For more information, go to the church’s website here.
All Saints’ Chapel, located in the center of the University of the South campus, offers several weekday services in St. Augustine Chapel, as well as an 8 a.m service on Sunday and an 11 a.m. service when the school is in session. For more details, go to the Chapel’s webpage.
Guests wishing to spend time on the grounds of St. Mary’s may use any of our hiking trails. Trails vary in difficulty and length and offer a relaxing and peaceful time with God in nature. Guests are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes and light clothing.
Feel free to walk the path of the labyrinth or wander down Turkey Hollow Trail, a brief 45-minute walk along the Bluff to enjoy the beautiful views and take a breath of fresh, mountain air. For longer hikes, you can take the Mountain Goat Trail from Sewanee to Monteagle and beyond into Grundy County, or hike the University’s Perimeter Trail. The Perimeter Trail, part of the University’s 13,000-acre campus, includes paths from Memorial Cross to Morgan’s Steep, Bridal Veil Falls, and Shakerag Hollow to Green’s View (famous for early spring wildflowers). You can find detailed maps of these hikes and more information in the Area Hiking Trails binder in St. Mary’s Hall lobby.